Friday, September 17, 2021

Edgar Rice Burroughs: September 18, 1941

 

September 18, 2021 and 101 years ago  in 1940, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin published an article about Edgar Rice Burroughs returning to Hawaii for his health and on that same day the Honolulu Advertiser published an article by Edgar Rice Burroughs where ERB says that young people should strive for physical fitness and preparedness. He went on to warn everyone that we are surrounded by people who do not like us. (Americans). He said that if were prepared for an invasion, they will let us alone. Alas, we weren’t and they didn’t.

I was able to find very bad, virtually illegible reproductions. The two articles are summarized at https://www.erbzine.com/mag0/0001.html.

The drabble for today is “Work, But Be Prepared” and it was inspired by the two articles published in Hawaii in those pre-war days.

The columnist said, “Mr. Burroughs, you said that you’re here for your health, but you’re writing 20,000 words a week. I know how long it takes for me to write 20,000 words.

I type with two fingers, about 330 words in twenty minutes, but I stop occasionally and do a rewrite or two, so about 3000 words a day.”

“And after that?”

“Exercise, I walk every day.”

“Why.”

“I was in the cavalry. The day may come when you don’t have a horse. I’d like to think I can get away from trouble even faster as I got into it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment